Artistic Co-Directors Caroline Howarth and Mieko Ouchi invite actors to apply for general auditions by submitting a resume and headshot. Successful applicants will be contacted to book an audition. Please submit your resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver it to our office
(6-17 Stanley Milner Library Building, 7 Winston Churchill Square, T5J 2V5) before Friday, May 24, 2013.
Audition Requirements for Successful Applicants:
- Two contrasting contemporary monologues, one of which is Canadian. Total time: 10 minutes.
- If you are a singer, you may replace one of the monologues with a song of your choosing. A CD player will be available.
- Concrete Theatre attended Emerge 2013 so please do not apply for an audition as we will be doing specific call backs.
- Monday, May 27 11:00 am – 8:00 pm, Tuesday, May 28 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
- You will be contacted by Irene our booking coordinator to book a 20 minute slot.
- Priority will be given to Equity/ACTRA members and registered Apprentices on the 1st day.
- Stanley A. Milner Library Building, 7 Sir Winston Churchill Square, Edmonton.
- I Am For You by Mieko Ouchi
- Target audience: Jr/Sr High
Two 17 year old girls get into a violent physical fight in their high school drama room, which is broken up by their student teacher, an ex BFA actor and a certified actor-combatant. He takes them on as a special project, helping them understand the roots & costs of violence through the art of stage combat, and ultimately the fight between Mercutio & Tybalt for the school production of Romeo and Juliet. All three roles require fencing, unarmed, sabres.
- Apples and Oranges by Chris Bullough
- Target audience: Elementary
A remount of our 2009 production the play follows Connor, a young Papple Boy on an exci ting journey to explore the island he lives on. When he unexpectedly meets Ceili, a girl from the other side, where his fellow Papples have told him the frightening Orange-Folk live, he discovers that people can be as different as apples and oranges… but they can also be friends. Requires singing. Ability to play guitar or other small portable instruments a plus.
- The Bully Project by Mieko Ouchi with Caroline Howarth
- Target audience: Jr High
A brand new participatory project that explores the complex reasons why bullying behavior happens and what young people and the adults who care about them can do about it. Extensive audience interaction and improv are key, which will be performed by 3 actors for 100 students at a time. Improvisation, participatory experience a plus.
Concrete Theatre is a 23 year old professional Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) company whose mandate is to produce artistically excellent, challenging and culturally diverse theatre for young people and their families. Our critically acclaimed and Dora and Sterling award winning productions have included: Under Cover, Routes, The Early Bloomer, Smokescreen, Apples and Oranges, Jeremy Fisher, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, The Shape of a Girl, Offensive Fouls, The Incredible Adventures of Mary Jane Mosquito, The Plum Tree, Lig & Bittle, Are We There Yet?, Rice and Naomi’s Road. We tour productions to Elementary, Junior and Senior High schools in Edmonton and across Alberta. We occasionally do main-stage productions in Edmonton, and tour nationally. Concrete Theatre also produces Sprouts, an annual new play development festival for kids. Please visit our website in advance for additional information and history about the company. www.concretetheatre.ca
Concrete Theatre is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) and engages, under the terms of the Canadian Theatre Agreement, professional artists who are members of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association.