Under the supervision of the Managing Director, the Assistant Managing Director (AMD)/Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for all facets of the Freewill Shakespeare Festival Volunteer program, as well as general administrative duties relating to the daily operations of the Festival site.
The ideal candidate will possess a high degree of organization and independence, enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced festival environment, a positive and enthusiastic outlook on life, and a general understanding of arts administration and non-profit theatre/festival operations. Because of the nature of the Festival and its locale, it is recommended that candidates have access to a vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license.
• Recruit, manage, schedule, train and support over 100 volunteers
• Meet, greet and motivate volunteers on a daily basis for their shifts at the Festival
• Delegate responsibilities appropriately to volunteers
• Manage all Front of House operations including dealing with complaints, handling cash, etc.
• Ensure appropriate financial records and box office statistics are completed after each show
• Assist in general operations of the site with the Site & Concession Coordinators
• Provide administrative support to the Festival such as ordering merchandise
• Assist with the planning and implementation of fundraising initiatives on site
• Organize a volunteer wrap party and solicit donations for prizes
• Coordinate return of Festival rentals
• Self-starter able to work independently with minimal direction
• Attention to detail and excellent problem-solving capabilities
• Flexible team player ready to contribute to other jobs as required
• Excellent time management and organisational skills
• Personable and confident communicator who is patient and positive at all times
• Basic level of understanding of live theatre and/or festivals
• Strong computer skills in an Apple environment
• Preference given to those with prior experience working with volunteers
• Preference given to those with an education in Theatre and/or Arts Administration
The AMD/Volunteer Coordinator commences full-time work one month prior to the festival at the Freewill offices. For the duration of the festival (June 25 to July 21), hours are approximately 3:30 pm to 11:30 pm Tuesday to Friday, and noon to 11:30 pm, with a break between shows, on Saturdays & Sundays. However, flexibility due to unforeseen circumstances is important.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a resume and a cover lever by April 1, 2013. We thank all candidates who apply in advance, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Send Applications to:
Freewill Shakespeare Festival
618-7 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB T5J 2V5
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.