Ghost River Theatre, a Calgary-based dynamic, innovative devised creation company is seeking a full-time General Manager. Led by Co-Artistic Directors Eric Rose and David van Belle, the company creates and tours new, highly theatrical work.
The General Manager collaborates with Co-Artistic Directors on short and long-term planning and is responsible for providing structural, administrative and financial leadership for the company. The General Manager’s duties include but are not limited to the tasks listed below:
- the administration of our season: this could be as large as one or two full productions, a touring show, a creation workshop and various educational events
- financial management: building and administrating the season and project budgets
- fundraising (in cooperation with the Board of Directors), grant writing and liaising with funding agencies
- producing: overseeing marketing and the promotion of the company, its shows, tours and ancillary events, including management of contract workers
- human resources: contracting artists, production and administrative personnel
- Board and community liaison , strategic and long-term planning
The candidate should be a highly skilled manager with a minimum of five years of experience in theatre administration, should be very organized, should have excellent written and oral communication skills, should be proficient with standard computer software (Word, Excel, etc.), should have strong document management skills, should be able to manage the needs of a small but decidedly ambitious theatre company and should be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
Beyond that, however: we are looking for someone to inspire us with an administrative vision for the company that will allow our excellent work to be sustainable and to flourish. We are a small but very ambitious theatre company that wants to exponentially grow its work in the next five years, increasing our national and international profile while simultaneously increasing our capacity to make and disseminate exhilarating new theatrical work.
Salary range–$37,000-$40,500 annually, depending on experience and skill set.
Please send your resume, contact information for two references, and a letter of interest to email@example.com
Position begins January 15, 2013. Deadline for applications: October 15, 2012.
Please be advised that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on Ghost River Theatre, please visit
About Ghost River Theatre:
Ghost River Theatre has a 20-year history of producing innovative, highly theatrical work for Calgary and for national and international communities. Central to Ghost River’s aesthetic is a ‘total theatre’ approach, in which all elements of production are central to the telling of beautiful stories. Though small in size, the company consistently punches above its weight (winning back-to-back Betty Mitchell Awards for Outstanding Production of a Play in 2010 and 2011), and has gained a reputation as one of the most exciting theatre companies in the country.