The Freewill Players Theatre Guild, producers of the Freewill Shakespeare Festival, seeks a dynamic individual to join its team as Managing Director, providing sound leadership and management as the company enters its 25th year. The successful candidate will work closely year-round with the company’s Artistic Director, and will be responsible for hiring and supervising seasonal Festival staff. The successful candidate will manage and provide leadership for all administrative aspects of the Festival, including day-to-day office operations, contract negotiations, grant research and writing, budgeting, and financial management. Additionally, the successful candidate will provide leadership and vision in the areas of fundraising, marketing, audience development, and on-site Festival management.
Edmonton’s Freewill Players, producers of one of the largest outdoor Shakespeare Festivals in Canada, was formed in 1989 by a group of actors in a truly co-operative, pass-the-hat spirit. Since then the company has grown to include a four-week annual Festival featuring two plays running in repertory (employing a complement of up to 60 people at the height of the season), as well as the Camp Shakespeare program and numerous local initiatives. The plays are performed at Hawrelak Park in the 1100-seat, canopy-covered Heritage Amphitheatre. To this day, the company maintains its original mandate of making Shakespeare accessible and affordable by retaining offerings such as Pay-What-You-Will nights, which regularly attract up to 1,400 patrons. For more information about the Freewill Players, visit www.freewillshakespeare.com.
• Excellent communication and time management skills
• Ability to work independently, and to supervise and delegate to others
• Strong background in financial management
• Strong background in corporate and community fundraising, as well as grant preparation
• Knowledge of the Web-based communication environment, including social media tools
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Intuit QuickBooks
• Knowledge of the Canadian Theatre Agreement and all requirements
• Previous experience in arts administration
• Valid class 5 driver’s licence and reliable vehicle
• Knowledge of, and passion for, theatre
This is a full-time position with a current salary range of $36,000 to $42,000 per year. Hours of work are variable: during the annual Festival, it is not unusual for the Managing Director to work long hours, but during the off-season, hours of work are more fluid, averaging 35 hours per week. This position offers a benefits package including medical and dental coverage. The successful candidate may be required to provide a criminal record check.
Candidates are asked to submit a statement of interest along with a resume to:
Applications will be accepted by email and in Word or PDF format only.
Applications must be received by midnight MST on September 30, 2012.
The Freewill Players thank all candidates for their interest. All candidates will be contacted.