Third Street Theatre’s Queer Theatre Creation Ensemble
The Queer Theatre Creation Ensemble assembles a team of passionate artists (writers, dancers, actors, storytellers, musicians, designers, etc.) interested in the artistic exploration of issues pertaining to queer individuals and/or the queer community.
What angers us? What excites us? What are our hopes, dreams and fears? What does it mean to be queer? What do we want others to know and understand, and how can we do that effectively? These are the questions we hope to explore throughout the creation process.
The final work created will be truly reflective of the unique voices assembled. It will speak to their artistic style and address the topics they are moved to explore.
The Ensemble will be facilitated by Third Street Theatre’s Artistic Director, Paul Welch. Participants will be given the opportunity to develop and foster performance skills and will be tasked with individual and group exercises to deepen the relationship of the Ensemble, while exploring personal artistry and authenticity. Exercises may consist of personal challenges, group activities/events, research opportunities, workshops, and professional mentorship.
The final product will be derived wholly from the participants of the Ensemble over the course of 6 months. Time commitment may be as little as once every two-weeks – particularly in the beginning – with more extensive time commitments (2-3 times a week) in January and February as we lead up to our public performances in March, 2013.
Application Deadline: September 15th, 2012.
Audition Dates: After September 15th, 2012, TBA.
Audition Location: September, TBA.
Rehearsal Schedule: On-going throughout the 6-month creation process, as necessary.
Rehearsal Location: TBD as necessary throughout the 6-month creation process.
Public Performance: At least 3 public performances, TBA in March, 2013.
Renumeration: Along with the skill-set training and other additional benefits of being a part of the Ensemble, participants will receive an honorarium for involvement. Additionally, participants will receive a complimentary ticket to our main-stage production.
There is NO FEE to participate.
1. Ensemble members must be residents of Calgary.
2. Ensemble members must be able participate in at least 80% of the rehearsal process and be 100% available for all performance dates.
3. Ensemble members must have an interest in addressing current issues facing the queer community through artistic exploration.
4. Ensemble members must have a positive, supportive, and respectful attitude.
5. Participation is NOT limited solely to actors, but it must be noted that the final product of the Ensemble will be presented in front of an audience.
Please note: Full Equity members are eligible to submit. Specific implications of your involvement, if successful, will be discussed at that time. Equity members will be seen first in the audition process.
1. Submit a 1-page cover-letter that introduces yourself and explains your interest in being considered for the Queer Theatre Creation Ensemble.
2. Include a head-shot and resume of applicable experience.
3. On a separate page, answer the following questions (150 words or less per question):
What does the term “Queer” mean to you?
Do you identify as “Queer”? If so, how and why? If not, how and why?
What unique experiences or skill-sets would you bring to the table?
Identify 3 issues that excite / anger / frustrate you with respect to the queer community, queer culture, and/or queer identity. This can be within the queer community itself, or between society as a whole and the queer community.
If you achieved your ideal out-come for the Creation Ensemble, what might that look like?
If you have any concerns about your involvement in the Ensemble, what might they be?
1. Successful applicants will be contacted and invited to participate in an interview and audition.
2. Please prepare 2 contrasting pieces suited to your discipline (i.e. monologues, movement, song, design portfolio, etc. If you need further clarification related to your discipline, please let us know).
3. Applicants should be prepared for individual and/or group exercises during the audition process. These exercises may include, but are not limited to: theatrical exercises, improvisation, movement, group creation, cold reading/text exploration, etc.
Please e-mail your completed applications to: email@example.com
Or mail your application to:
Third Street Theatre
#3 306 20th Avenue SW