Calgary’s Lunchbox Theatre, the longest running lunchtime theatre in the world, strives to continually expand and develop talent from the local arts community. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower in the heart of downtown, Lunchbox Theatre injects an hour of premium entertainment and delight into every audience at both lunchtime and evening performances.
To bring each of these productions to life, Lunchbox Theatre employs 6-8 permanent staff members, as well as the hundreds of artists and crew members involved in each season.
The House Technician is primarily responsible for the ongoing delivery of production services and technical programming, and supporting the creative team in realizing the vision of each design and production. In addition, the House Technician will be responsible for the general upkeep and maintenance of the stage, back of house, equipment, props and costumes.
The House Technician will work with and report directly to the Production Manager/Technical Director in order to see each production through to completion in an efficient and timely manner.
• Provide technical services as required by each production, including but not limited to electrical, carpentry, and painting.
• Assist with the procurement of materials.
• Produce and execute, where required, the sound and lighting designs of each production.
• Participate in tech week to ensure any problems that may arise are resolved prior to opening.
• Run each show in conjunction with the Stage Manager. Daily duties include:
• Running light, sound and video cues
• Preparing production notes
• Pre-show equipment checks
• Post-show cleanup of house and green room
• Maintenance of stage
• Maintaining costumes, including dry cleaning
• Assisting SM with transportation of props and costumes
• Ensuring archival videos are recorded and stored appropriately.
• Head of strike crew.
• Responsible for rental groups under the direction of the Production Manager/Technical Director.
• General maintenance of equipment, theatre and office spaces.
• Maintain a safe work environment in all areas of the theatre for staff, volunteers and patrons.
• Maintain all tools and shop equipment in good working order, repair as needed.
• Ensure building maintenance and general maintenance of facilities are in order.
• Participate in facility renovations and equipping of theatre.
• Maintain inventories of tools, props, costumes and building materials.
• Ensure the building and staff are secure.
• Liaison with Board of Director committees as required.
• Assist with special events.
• Technical theatre background and education an asset.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to self motivate and work unsupervised.
• Broad range of skills related to the building and execution of theatre productions.
• Experience with QLab 2 and ETC Express consoles an asset.
Lunchbox Theatre offers a positive, high-energy work environment, and has always been an equal-opportunity employer. Salary will be based on prior experience and performance.
If you would like to join our team, please forward your resume, cover letter, and 2 references to:
Technical Director/Production Manager
160 115-9th Ave SE,
Calgary, AB T2G 0P5
Fax: (403) 264-5461
Lunchbox Theatre thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Application deadline: Monday, July 30th, 2012.
Tentative start date: Monday, August 13, 2012.