Walterdale Playhouse “From Cradle to Stage”
2012-2013 One-Act Competition
Edmonton’s foremost community theatre company is now accepting submissions for its annual one-act event, “From Cradle to Stage”. For over 10 years, Walterdale Playhouse has been producing original one-act plays by local playwrights as a part of its main stage season. Plays are selected by jury, and selected playwrights will receive dramaturgy to help them in the development of their play. We are pleased to announce that Brian Dooley and Tracy Carroll will return as dramaturges this season after their wonderful work with our playwrights over the last three years.
• Deadline for all submissions is Friday, September 14th, 2012.
• Playwrights will have the opportunity to work with a dramaturge to develop their scripts between November 2012 and January 2013.
• Finished scripts will be paired up with directors and production teams by February 2013.
• The selected plays will be produced May 20-25, 2013.
• Scripts must be unproduced and unpublished prior to the Walterdale production dates. If your script has had a public reading or has been work-shopped, please include its development history up to this point.
• Scripts must be typed or printed, with spaces between all speaking parts. Include your name and contact info on the first page of the script, and number your pages.
• Along with the script, please include a brief bio (50 words or less) which Walterdale will use for publicity purposes if your play is chosen.
• Scripts should run approximately 30-45 minutes. Although we recognize that running times may change during play development, Walterdale reserves the right to edit scripts for production if they run long.
• For the purpose of this competition, “local” indicates residents of the Edmonton Area. This includes satellite communities such as Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Sherwood Park, St. Albert, and Leduc. If you are unsure if you geographically qualify to submit, please do not hesitate to contact the Festival Co-ordinator at the email listed below.
Submit your script and contact information in one of the following ways:
• Mail your script to the address below. Do not mail your original copy. If you want your script returned to you, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Unselected scripts without a SASE will be recycled.
From Cradle to Stage 2012-2013
10322 83 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6E 5C3
Attention: Kristen M. Finlay, Festival Co-ordinator
• Or Email your script to the following email address with FROM CRADLE TO STAGE 2012-2013 and title of script in the Subject Line: email@example.com.