Job Posting: Theatre Technician, Second Street Theatre
Second Street Theatre
10130-98 Avenue, Grande Prairie, AB T8V 0P6
Job posting: Theatre Technician
Position Type: Full Time (40 hours per week)
• Operating, maintaining and safeguarding the technical assets of the Theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, projection, and communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of the stage facilities.
• Working with the event organizers prior to and/or on the day-of to meet all lighting, sound and video requirements for the event.
• To represent the Second Street Theatre by providing impeccable customer service to all clients, users and guests.
• Dress in a professional appropriate manner during performances.
Reporting to the Theatre Manager, the Technical Director’s responsibilities include:
• To liaise with theatre user groups and internal staff to: determine the technical needs for each event booked in the theatre (and occasionally devise simple lighting designs); to ensure the smooth operation of events, rehearsals, set-ups and strikes in the theatre and to arrange for any outside equipment rentals, as necessary.
• To be present in the theatre during load-ins, load-outs, rehearsals and performances, to supervise the correct operation of the theatre’s technical equipment and safety of all personnel working in the theatre during all scheduled events.
• To maintain all technical equipment in the theatre and schedule technical maintenance calls as necessary.
• To operate lighting and/or sound equipment during events
• To operate all formats of video projection or to supervise their operation by other technical volunteers.
• To open and prepare the theatre before the arrival of theatre users and ensure that all theatre entrances are locked following all performances, rehearsals, load-in and strike calls.
• To manage the technical expense budget with input from the Theatre Manager
• 3-5 years related experience (lighting, sound, technical direction) in a theatre, performing arts centre, or community centre environment;
• Experience with a variety of performance types (Music, Theatre, Dance, Film) is an asset;
• Post secondary degree/certificate in theatre production or equivalent professional experience;
• In-depth knowledge of all aspects of performing arts presentations: sound, stage management, lighting, drafting and reading blueprints, floor plans, lighting plots, electrical diagrams and schematics;
• Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
• Carpentry and set construction an asset
• Good interpersonal skills;
• Good oral and written communication skills, including accurately interpreting and summarizing information in a clear and concise manner;
• Good organizational skills including the ability to work independently and set priorities;
• Ability to problem solve under pressure while maintaining a friendly demeanor;
• Must be able to work with theatre volunteers in all productions.
Please send resumes attention to:
Grande Prairie Live Theatre
Grande Prairie, AB T8V 0P6