Company of Rogues is excited to bring Catherine Lough Haggquist for our Featured Summer Workshop: PRODUCING YOUR ACTING CAREER
Aug 18 & 19
Cost: $250+GST for the weekend
403.228.5526 or [email protected] to register.
Producing Your Acting Career with Catherine Lough Haggquist
Your acting career is an ongoing production that you write, direct, finance and star in. You are the one who makes the key decisions about how to perform these jobs. As the decision maker, you are the producer of the results you create. Do not neglect your responsibilities or overlook your opportunities. Most of all, do not let fear, ignorance or apathy take over your production!
Producing Your Acting Career is an intensive weekend workshop designed to get your acting business underway and keep it on track. A foundation in the industry is a must. You can’t succeed in an industry you don’t understand. Too often actors focus on honing their craft and neglect the other skills necessary for a successful career. Producing Your Acting Career gives you not only a comprehensive understanding of the film and television industry, but also gives you the tools to craft opportunity maximizing strategies. Over the weekend you will begin to create an individual Business Plan to take your career to the next level. Producing Your Acting Career focuses on developing the powerful tools that give you a competitive advantage in your acting career.
From where ideas start, to who controls the money, to who really makes the decisions, all these areas have an impact on your career. Producing Your Acting Career gives you a clear picture of the business terrain. Learn how to spot the trends as well as how to position yourself professionally to capitalize on them.
Among the topics covered in Producing Your Acting Career are:
- An Introduction to the Film and Television Industry – How does it work? How do you set goals within it?
- The Plan – Acting is a business. You will begin the work of creating and refining your vision of success and drafting the Business Plan that will take you there.
- Creating your Brand vs Knowing your Hit- What do you have to offer to the industry? How do you communicate your message effectively? Why is it dangerous to confuse “Hit” and “Brand”?
- Assembling and Building your team – Every creative production needs a crew. Your acting career is no different. Who do you need? How do you get them on board?
- Assembling your Tools – When it comes to promoting yourself we have moved beyond a “pictures and resume” world. What do you need now? How do you use these tools effectively?
- Managing Key Relationships – From your agent, to the crews on set, to the Studio Executives – how do you recognize, develop and nurture key relationships in your career?
- Promotion and Marketing – You have started to let the industry know about yourself which is great. But true industry longevity lies in the building of your fan base, and in using this support to your advantage.
Catherine Lough Haggquist
A professional actor for over 27 years, Cat’s numerous credits include recent roles on television series’ Once Upon a Time, Fringe, & Psych. She also appeared with Bill Pullman in TNT’s season-opening television movie Innocent and looks forward to the release in summer 2013 of District 9 director Neil Blomkamp’s Baja Dunes in which she shares the big screen with Jodie Foster and Matt Damon.
In addition to her acting, Cat opened Biz Books in Vancouver in 1996 and it has grown to become an international online resource for people looking to expand their knowledge of film, television and theatre. Time spent on the local and national boards of UBCP and ACTRA and watching her mentor John Juliani inspired her to begin sharing her vast industry knowledge. She has since developed seminars and workshops designed to assist creative professionals with their business skills and to empower them to get their careers focused and productive.