Alberta Theatre Projects is seeking a Production Manager. This is a full time position that reports directly to Artistic Director Vanessa Porteous and works closely with Managing Director David Shefsiek. The production manager supervises ATP’s Technical Director and a seasonal shop and stage crew of 10+, and is an active member of the company’s leadership team.
The position is open starting March 2012. However, start date can be negotiable. Salary and benefits will also be negotiated. Please express your interest by Jan 31, 2012.
The Production Manager is responsible for
• Planning, budgeting and overseeing the physical and technical realization of a season of 8 productions, to achieve the highest possible level of artistic accomplishment while staying on time and on budget.
• Supervising and working closely with ATP’s Technical Director, and managing an in-house seasonal crew of 10 + (set, props, wardrobe, stage), and casual crew, hired from IATSE Local 212.
• Supporting the vision of the creative team; contracting designers, executing the contracts, and managing the design relationship from pre-‐production on.
• Negotiation, implementation, and stewardship of ATP’s collective agreement with IATSE.
• Leading the company with the management team; contributing to ATP’s vision and strategy.
• Company scheduling, booking & managing venue rentals, maintenance of ATP’s technical equipment and venue; stewardship of relationship within our building, and any other duties required, commensurate with the scope of the role.
We are seeking someone who
• Has significant experience at a senior level in a producing theatre, preferably across a range of technical departments.
• Proven expertise in production budgeting and financial control.
• Up to date knowledge of health and safety regulations, collective agreements, computer literacy, and current trends in theatre technology.
• Highly skilled in communication, organization, & project management.
• Strong personnel management and team leadership skills that foster development for their team. • Commitment to achieving high technical and artistic standards with limited resources.
• A flexible approach to working, including the ability to work variable hours.
• A passionate commitment to the work of the theatre, an ability to work collegially with the leadership team, and a desire to contribute to the vision and strategy of ATP.
Alberta Theatre Projects is one of Canada’s leading contemporary theatres. We are in residence in the Martha Cohen Theatre (a 400 seat proscenium/thrust theatre) in the Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts in the heart of downtown Calgary, Alberta. We produce from September through May, and host rental companies in the summer. We produce a subscription series of contemporary plays, as well as the Enbridge playRites Festival of New Canadian Plays (4 world premieres in repertoire.). We use a smaller venue in the same building, once a season, as part of our Festival. For more information about ATP, check our website, www.atplive.com.
Our season is busy; our workplace is dynamic; the work on our stage is exciting and wide-ranging in style, process and artistry. We’re seeking a terrific leader and a great team member to help us achieve our artistic goals and take ATP into the future.
Please send a letter of interest, an up-to-date CV, and a list of three references by Tuesday, January 31, 2012, to Vanessa Porteous, Artistic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact Vanessa, or Jahn Fawcett, outgoing production manager, at email@example.com. Interviews will take place in February. Only those shortlisted for the position will be contacted.