The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is seeking comments and feedback on its proposed Guidance on Arts Organizations and Charitable Registration.
All submissions will be considered. (You don’t necessarily have to operate a non-profit or charity to comment on the policy.) The CRA recommends the following submission format:
- General comments: These comments could include general observations such as whether the guidance is helpful, suggestions for improving the document’s readability, and any relevant issues that should be added.
- Specific comments: When you comment on specific aspects of the guidance, include the following:
- the paragraph number of the section you are commenting on;
- the issues with the paragraph in question; and
- a solution or alternative that could be considered, if possible.
The CRA also welcomes questions that could be used to build a list of Questions and Answers to supplement the guidelines.
For more information and to take a peek at the proposed guideline visit www.cra.gc.ca.
An example of some of the policy within the proposed guideline has been pasted below. The following has been taken from Appendix C: Art Forms & Styles. These are the art forms and styles listed under “Theatre.” Is there anything else that should be included in this list?
This list represents the art forms and styles that the Charities Directorate has consistently recognized to meet the art form and style criterion. For that reason, the art forms and styles on the list will usually be accepted without requiring the submission of more information.
- Children’s theatre
- Music theatre
- Classical work
- Adaptations of classics
- Comedy theatre
- Storytelling and spoken-word performances