The 2016/17 Young Acting and Musical Companies Submissions are Now Open!
The Acting and Musical programs offer regular classes in acting, singing, speech, dance, and movement, and special workshops in things like auditioning, Shakespeare, and stage combat. The program culminates in a series of performances (a play and a musical) that demonstrate what the participants have learned over the course of the year. The play and musical are chosen specially for the participants – to give each of them an opportunity to shine – and are directed by local theatre artists. Many of our alumni are now in prestigious acting and musical theatre training programs across North America.
The Young Playwriting Company is a hands-on program which facilitates script development under the mentorship of established playwrights and dramaturgs. Students work on short plays which are presented in a series of staged readings at the end of the program year.
The Theatre Production Company is a practical-based program for directors, designers, technicians, stage managers, etc. Students work with professional artists at the Citadel theatre in those various areas and then put their skills to work on one of our year-end shows.
- Applicants for all companies must register on-line and pay the application fee of $25.
- Auditions for the Acting and Musical Companies will take place on Saturday and Sunday, July 16-17, 2016 from 10am-6pm at the Citadel Theatre.
- Applications for the Playwriting and Theatre Production Companies will be accepted until September 15, 2016
- Acting Company – please prepare two contrasting memorized monologues, from published plays, each no longer than two minutes.
- Musical Company – please prepare one monologue, memorized, from a published play, no longer than two minutes, and one song from the Musical Theatre repertoire. Prepare your best 16 bars, but you may be asked to sing the entire song. It‘s always good to bring an additional song and monologue as well.
- Remember, we are looking for promise and potential – not finished products. Don’t worry if you don’t have much, or any, audition experience. We aim to make the audition as stress-free as possible.
- Playwriting Company – please attach two samples of your creative writing. Dramatic literature is preferred. These samples will be evaluated by our panel on the basis of promise and potential.
- Theatre Production Company – please include what area(s) of technical theatre, design or production you are interested in (although you will be exposed to multiple disciplines throughout the course of the year). If you have samples of your work, you may upload those with your application
Young Acting and Musical Companies Program Dates and Information:
- Classes meet Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6-10 pm.
- September 12 through December 16, 2016 (no classes Monday, October 10 and Wednesday, November 11) Regular core classes in acting, movement, dance, singing, auditioning and voice.
- January 9 through February 15, 2017 (no classes Monday, February 15)
- Continued audition training, plus specialized workshops in areas such as Shakespeare, Mask, Viewpoints, Improvisation, Stage Combat, etc. taught by theatre professionals including Bob Baker, James MacDonald, Don Horsburgh, Brian Dooley and others.
- The annual Showcase performance of audition material will be held in The Club on Friday December 16, 2016, with rehearsals on Monday and Wednesday December 12 and 14.
- Rehearsals from Monday, February 27 through Wednesday May 17, 2017 and all Sundays in May in preparation for a musical and a play chosen specifically for each company. Final performances of both of these shows will be in the Club at the Citadel and run from Thursday May 25– Sunday May 28, 2017.
- Additional class time may be required for workshops and rehearsals.
- In addition to regular training, workshops on special topics taught by theatre professionals including Bob Baker, James MacDonald, Don Horsburgh and others will be scheduled throughout the training period.
Young Playwriting Company Program Dates and Information:
* * While this program is designed for participants aged 16 – 21, applicants to the Young Playwriting Company who are older than 21 years of age will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Classes meet Tuesdays from 6:00pm – 10:00pm
- October 4 through December 6, 2016; and January 10 through May 16, 2017
- Includes regular coursework with resident and guest playwrights, dramaturges and directors. Alternating regular coursework with “writing weeks” when students will work independently on their plays. Dates are subject to change.
Staged Readings: Monday – Wednesday, May 29-31, 2017 Staged Readings in The Club
Young Theatre Production Company Program Dates and Information:
- No regularly scheduled class days and time. Classes will meet based upon interest of participants and the availability of people and programs. Previous years have seen sessions in directing, stage management, production management, scenic painting, set/costume/lighting design, film/video design, etc. The company averages one session per month.
- Beginning in March, students will be assigned to one of the two productions of the Young Acting and Musical Companies. They will work as ASMs, assistant directors, assistant designers, or in another area of interest.
- October through December 2016; and January through May 2017
- In support of the development of young theatre artists and their contributions to a vibrant theatre community, the Citadel Theatre/Robbins Academy subsidizes approximately 75% of all costs associated with each of the Young Companies. Tuition for the full year Program including classes, workshops, rehearsals, performances, materials and selected tickets to Citadel Theatre shows. Tuition may be paid in installments, half must be paid by December 31, 2016 and the balance by March 1, 2017.
- Young Acting Company $1,600.00 + GST
- Young Musical Company $1,800.00 + GST
- Young Playwriting Company $800.00 + GST
- Young Theatre Production Company $600.00 + GST
For more information or to Apply, please click here.