To apply for Artstrek 2012 you must complete an online application form.
Your application to Artstrek 2012 is not complete without a referral from a teacher or director who is familiar with your interest and/or experience in the performing arts. References from relatives are not acceptable. Returning students must also have a referrer provide a recommendation. Simply supply contact information for your referrer as part of your online registration and Theatre Alberta will contact them on your behalf. Please ensure that this teacher or director is aware of your application and is ready to submit a referral once your electronic application is submitted.
All applicants will be asked to provide a statement describing their reasons for wishing to attend Artstrek 2012. You can either type this statement directly into the online form or you can upload a text-based file. In either case, it is advised you prepare your letter in advance of starting the online form because you cannot save the form and go back to it later.
Artstrek fills up quickly—register early to avoid disappointment! Students are accepted into the program on a first-come, first-served basis—provided their online application is complete and their letter of recommendation is satisfactory. If the program is full, students will be placed on a waiting list in the order their applications were received.
We strive to make Artstrek as affordable as possible. Theatre Alberta, Red Deer College and the Alberta Foundation for the Arts subsidize costs for all Artstrek students by 50%.
Artstrek fees provide students with 12 hours of daily instruction/activity led by a highly qualified instructional and supervisory staff, round the clock supervision, three meals a day and accommodation. As an extra bonus, each Artstrek participant is provided with a one-year membership to Theatre Alberta!
Artstrek fees for 2012 are:
Exploration I (July 8-14, 2012) – $515
Exploration II (July 15-22, 2012) - $550
All prices include GST and a non-refundable $35 administration fee. Students who reside outside of Alberta must add $50 to the above fees.
Full payment must accompany your application. In the event a student is not accepted into the program, the program fee is automatically refunded in full. Payment is accepted via Paypal and can be made using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
Your family may be eligible to receive an income tax credit toward your Artstrek registration fee.
Visit www.cra.gc.ca/artscredit for details.
Please note that applications will only be accepted online. Paper application forms will only be provided in rare cases and will be subject to a $10 surcharge.
Theatre Alberta receives a large volume of applications within a short period of time—please allow ample time for processing. Students accepted into the program will receive an acceptance package via email.
Before starting your application, please ensure you have:
- Your contact information, including a current email address that you check regularly.
- For 12 and 13 year olds only: an electronic copy/scan of your birth certificate for proof of age (e.g. jpeg, tiff, pdf).
- Your statement describing your major reason(s) for wishing to attend Artstrek 2012.
- Your Alberta (or other provincial) health care number.
- Your medical insurance information (e.g. Blue Cross), if applicable.
- Your medical history, including immunizations, prescription medication (if any) and allergies.
- Contact information for at least two emergency contacts: a parent/ guardian and an alternate who is at least 18 years of age.
- Contact information, including a current email address, for a parent/ guardian who will receive and complete the Artstrek Parent Approval Form.
- Contact information, including a current email address, for the teacher or director who will receive and complete your letter of recommendation.
- Payment information, a credit card number, for Paypal.
All refund request for accepted applicants must be made in writing to Theatre Alberta. Theatre Alberta will retain the $35 administration fee of all accepted applicants who withdraw their applications after they have been processed.
If a participant decides not to attend Artstrek 2012 prior to the program’s start, they MUST inform Theatre Alberta of their cancellation as soon as possible. Failure to inform us of a cancellation results in students on the waiting list being denied a chance to attend Artstrek.
Cancellations must be made in writing, either by email or fax. Cancellations by phone will not be accepted.
Refunds will be available on the following pro-rated scale:
- Cancellations received before May 29 will be given a full refund minus the $35 administration fee.
- Cancellations received between May 29 and June 4 will be charged the $35 administration fee plus 10% of the original program fee.
- Cancellations received between June 5 and June 11 will be charged the $35 administration fee plus 20% of the original program fee.
- Cancellations received between June 12 and June 18 will be charged the $35 administration fee plus 30% of the original program fee.
No refunds will be given if registration is cancelled after June 27, 2012. Extreme circumstances such as illness, hospitalization, death of a family member, etc., will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Documentation will be required.
If you have further questions about how to apply, please contact the Theatre Alberta office:
Toll Free (in Alberta): 1-888-422-8160