Festivals and Events Manager
Term: (Full-‐time) 3 year contract (following 3 months probationary period)
Responsible to: Executive Director
Salary: $35-‐40k plus benefits
Events Wood Buffalo Job Description:
As a non-profit organization the mandate of Events Wood Buffalo is to deliver major events to the communities within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo that reflects the cultural requirements of one of the fastest growing and diverse communities in Canada. We have witnessed unprecedented growth in the organization’s recent history with an estimated 100,000 people attending events in 2011. Past festival and event productions have included acts such as The Bare Naked Ladies, The Tragically Hip, Kiss, George Canyon, Down With Webster and Reba.
We are looking for an individual that can demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of contractors, vendors, municipal departments, and project volunteers. An eye for detail and finely honed planning skills are essential as you will develop, negotiate, organise and deliver an ever expanding year round events portfolio which currently includes The 3 Forts Dog Sled Race, WinterPLAY, Canada Rocks and InterPLAY.
• Organize community groups and stakeholders to determine and execute logistical requirements for the development and implementation phases of hosting festivals and other major events.
• With the Executive Director , develop content for year-round festival and event program.
• Supporting strategic business and community relationships with various agencies, clients and associations including the Regional Municipality Of Wood Buffalo and Fort McMurray Tourism.
• Communicate effectively with colleagues, including all relevant marketing detail, business opportunities, technical requirements and contractual detail, in order that they may fulfil their roles within the process in a timely manner.
• To adhere to and, where appropriate, develop organizational procedures, including those regarding Health and Safety responsibilities and customer care.
• Develop and implement sponsorship strategies with the Executive Director and other relevant personal.
• Provide information on critical paths, progress checks, event schedules and identify and make recommendations when and where resources are required.
• Perform related work as assigned by Executive Director including project management and business development related activities.
• Demonstrable experience of managing projects from conception to delivery.
• An understanding of community development and a commitment to community engagement.
• An ability to think strategically and to plan accordingly.
• Action oriented, self-‐motivated with a commitment to time lines, personal integrity and team success.
• Ability to hire staff, assign work and provide functional guidance and feedback when required.
• Experience of, and comfort with, working on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Experience of setting and managing budgets.
• Experience of negotiation and of contracting artists, contractors.
• Good team-‐working skills and networking skills with a proven ability to work collaboratively with others.
• Solid administrative skills with strong computer skills.
• Knowledge of technical production
• Knowledge of volunteer recruitment, principles and management
• An understanding of Health and Safety regulations and legislation, bylaws and policies
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
An Events or Hospitality certificate, diploma or degree is a plus but not essential, followed by a minimum of three years of professional services in a related field. Occasional overtime and working weekends and unsocial hours will be required especially during events. Demonstrated success in community engagement is essential. A current clean full driving licence and use of own vehicle is required
Please submit your resume and letter of application attention Executive Director and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
Please state clearly in subject line Festivals and Events Manager (full-‐time). Position remains open until suitable candidate is found.