Title: Technical Director
Type/Term: Part-time, regular
Reports to: Managing Director
Join our dynamic team of arts professionals and contribute to the vitality of Calgary’s arts and culture sector. One Yellow Rabbit creates, produces, presents, inspires, challenges and entertains like no other.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Technical Director is a collaborative member of the OYR Team, leading on all technical elements of the Big Secret Theatre – One Yellow Rabbit’s home in the EPCOR Centre for the Performing Arts. This individual will work closely with the Artistic Director, Artistic Associate, and Associate Producer to fully realizes the Company’s activity, and will manage and continue to build a team of casual crew and technicians.
This is a key position on the management team, which would be well suited to an experienced Technical Director, an experienced technician with management experience, or an experienced production manager with hands on technical experience.
• Overseeing the technical operations and maintenance of the Big Secret Theatre (BST), all storage spaces, and occasionally other venues as required during the High Performance Rodeo
• Acts as the lead technician on all events in the BST, and/or supervises other technicians in this regard
• Supervises and schedules technical staff, maintains an up to date call list
• Responsible for the maintenance, purchase and rental of all production and office
equipment as it relates to the BST and maintaining the inventory of these items
• Manages and tracks equipment common share (borrow and lending of equipment)
• Orders and tracks production consumables
• Liaises with landlord representative regarding physical plant aspects of the company’s
facility, including building operations, safety, security, cleaning and venue activity
schedules and represents OYR at building meetings
• Responsible for ensuring safe working conditions exist within the facility at all times and
acts as designated safety coordinator with the landlord
• Creates and distributes nightly show reports
• Attends all production and team meetings
• Acts as main point of contact with renters of the BST regarding all technical aspects of
the venue use
• Determines venue capacities and communicates information to Patron Services
• Supports the OYR ensemble and contract Production Managers on ensemble shows,
including touring productions, creative projects, special events and the annual High
Performance Rodeo and SummerLab Intensive
• Acts as Production Manager on small projects as required
• Approves and coordinates any and all video taping of live performances in the BST
• Oversees and tracks operating budgets as required
• Tracks and signs out keys to all personnel
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications, Experience:
• Post-secondary degree in technical theatre, production, design, etc. or equivalent experience in professional theatre
•Certification in fall protection, rigging, pyrotechnics, PAL License and/or other technical/production certifications would be an asset
• Knowledge and proficiency with MacOS based applications
• Knowledge and experience working with Vectorworks and/or AutoCAD would be an asset.
• Knowledge of current lighting, sound, and/or digital technologies and an interest in continuing
to stay up-to-date in advancements.
• Knowledge and experience in theatre maintenance – lighting, audio, theatre specific hardware
(i.e. seating banks, dance floors, etc.)
• Must be able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Proactive approach, highly organized, conscientious and detail-oriented
• Approachable, professional and collaborative working style, demonstrating high levels of trust
• Demonstrated good judgment, flexibility, and openness.
Remuneration includes competitive salary, group benefits, professional development and flex- Fridays throughout the year.
Interested in us? We’re interested in you!
Send an electronic copy of your cover letter and resume with salary expectations by October 09,
2014 to: email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest in One Yellow Rabbit. Please note only those selected
for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
About One Yellow Rabbit Theatre Association
Since 1982, One Yellow Rabbit (OYR) has been pushing artistic boundaries in the creation of original, innovative theatre and has become one of Canada’s best-known theatre companies. A resident company at the EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts and working out of the Big Secret Theatre, the award-winning One Yellow Rabbit Performing Ensemble creates original plays that are noted for their intricate physicality and originality.
OYR also produces the High Performance Rodeo, Calgary’s International Festival of the Arts – an annual event that animates the city in the cold of January with a sizzling array of live performances from around the world featuring theatre, music, comedy, dance, film, visual art and more. The High Performance Rodeo is a dazzling showcase of the best in contemporary performance.
OYR is a not-for-profit charitable organization with a vision to enrich society through stimulating, provocative and life-affirming performing arts. We create and present vital, surprising performance experiences that engage and reward our community.